Hereford Medical Group
Frequently Asked Questions – October 2018
As you may be aware Quay House Medical Centre, Greyfriars Surgery, Moorfield House Surgery, Sarum House Surgery and King Street and Bobblestock Surgeries merged to form Hereford Medical Group on the 1st July 2018. Below are some key updates and answers to common questions we are asked by patients –
What are the key priorities for Hereford Medical Group?
- Remaining patient focused
- Continuity of care
- Flexibility and accessibility to clinical staff
What has changed with the delivery of care?
- All urgent care (on the day care) will take place at Moorfield House Surgery
- This will allow Hereford Medical Group to deliver care in the most effective and efficient way
How do you inform patients of any changes?
- Via regular Patient Participation Group meetings
- Updating our website – www.herefordmedicalgroup.co.uk
- Information in surgeries – poster, leaflets and practice TV screens
- Social Media – Facebook and Twitter
Will Hereford Medical Group have a new building?
- Work will begin on a new purpose built GP surgery in late 2018
- Parking will be free for Hereford Medical Group patients when they are visiting the surgery
- We are working with Prime Plc, developers of the build, on this project
- In the meantime current surgery sites will be used
- We hope the new building will be ready in Spring 2020
What are patients worried about?
The feedback we have received from Patient Participation Group meetings and public engagement events for the new building has been overwhelmingly positive. However, concerns raised were –
- Services will be more difficult to access
- Risk of privatisation
- Quality of care may decrease
- Staff jobs being put at risk
Has everything changed?
- The main changes for patients have been the delivery of urgent care. Patients will still phone their usual surgery number but if an urgent, on the day, appointment is needed, it may be at Moorfield House. Patients who request a same day appointment will be added to a telephone triage list and will receive a return call from a clinician who may be able to help without the need for a face to face visit. If they can’t, the clinician will arrange a face to face appointment which will usually be at Moorfield House.
- Hereford Medical Group now has a dedicated Care Navigation Centre answering phone calls for appointments and general queries. This allows receptionists trained in care navigation to deal with calls in a confidential environment. The only phones we have within reception areas are internal ones. By removing phones from the reception areas we have created a more confidential environment for our patients.
I find it really difficult to get through on the phone. When is the best time to call?
- We have a team of reception staff who are based at the Care Navigation Centre answering calls from 8.00pm – 6.00pm. We have days of the week and times of the day which are busier than others. For example, Hereford Medical Group receives an extremely high number of calls on a Monday morning between 8am – 10am.
- The time you ring will not affect appointment availability.
- All calls are queued and answered in turn so please either hold on for your call to be answered or call back later if the matter is not urgent. Please note that hanging up and trying again will mean that the call is at the back of the queue.
- Patients can book appointments online. If you don’t currently use this service and would like to please visit any of our surgeries with two forms of ID and we will be able to provide you with log in details.
Will I still be able to visit my usual site?
- Yes you can attend the same the same site. However, if you could be seen quicker at a different site or it is more convenient for you we will be able to offer that option. For Moorfield House Surgery patients routine appointments will be held from Aylestone Hill Surgery and South Wye Medical Centre which were previously branch surgeries of Moorfield House.
Do I contact you on the number I used before July?
- Yes, you will still phone the same number as you do now.
Can I still book appointments in the same way and the same appointments?
- Yes, appointment booking will be the same. However for urgent, on the day, appointments you will be seen at Moorfield House.
- Over time we will review services to see if Hereford Medical Group can provide these in a better way; but this will be a gradual process and patients will be updated about any changes we make.
- We are committed to ensuring that continuity of care is retained for patients with on-going health care issues as we know that this is important to you and good for patient care.
Do I request my repeat prescription in the same way?
- Yes you can request and collect your repeat prescription in the same way as you did before July 1st 2018. Please note that Quay House patients need to ring 01432 271736 to request prescriptions.
Will I still be registered at my current practice?
- You will be registered with Hereford Medical Group. You can still request to see the GP or nurse of your choice and you can still attend the site of your choice. As mentioned above patients registered with Moorfield House Surgery will be offered routine appointments at Aylestone Hill and South Wye Medical Centre. When GPs leave the practice we reallocate their patients to a new ‘usual GP’ and you will be notified of this change on your next visit to the surgery.
Does Hereford Medical Group take new registrations?
- Hereford Medical Group does take new registrations.
Have you met with the Patient Participation Group since the merger?
- We are meeting with the PPG on the 30th January 2019 at Hereford Rowing Club. If you would like to join the PPG please email email@example.com for the attention of Bethany Wright.
Have you made any staff redundant?
- There have been no redundancies as a result of the merger. All staff have been transferred over to the new merged practice under TUPE arrangements (this is a legal requirement to transfer employees to a new organistion under their current terms and conditions).
Any questions or views?